[Tagging] automated edits seem to remove crossing=zebra drastically

Supaplex supaplex at riseup.net
Wed Sep 16 12:20:52 UTC 2020

I would appreciate using crossing=zebra! (instead of crossing=marked +
crossing_ref=zebra, so I have tagged it so far.) But I can't imagine
that people use or change "marked" instead of "traffic_signals". Or have
you observed this somewhere? For me "marked" would be something like
"paved" for Key:surface: a value which could be specified more exactly
in most cases (especially using "zebra" instead).

Do you have examples where "zebra" is changed automatically? Where and
who and why?

In rare cases, however, there are still crossings with special
structural forms, where "marked" could be a useful value for greater
generalisation, e.g. in this case:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:%C3%9Cberwegmarkierung_B%C3%BCrgerstra%C3%9Fe.jpg
(because of the surface, not the markings - and it's not a traffic calming)

In Berlin we are experimenting with a few extensions, by the way, see
[de]:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Berlin/Verkehrswende/Fu%C3%9Fwege#Gehweg.C3.BCberg.C3.A4nge

Alex