[Tagging] "width" on streets: Time for a recommendation

Taskar Center uwtcat at uw.edu
Thu Sep 17 00:35:39 UTC 2020

Hi,

This is yet another example why "sticking" the sidewalks onto the highway (as a tag) rather than mapping them as separate ways is appearing to be less and less practical. Please see our sidewalk schema proposal from several years ago.

I think @Mark brings up really relevant width distinctions, and I believe that once we agree that sidewalks require their own geometry, we should have a similar discussion about the interpretation of width in the sidewalks context.

I look at this issue from the perspective of routing. Routers are interested in functional width (which would be Mark's 'driven path' option). Even with the consideration of transiency of both of the last two of Mark's definitions, 'maintained' and 'driven path' width, this is a much better approximation for additional considerations than routing- it can be an indicator of traffic stress, it can provide information for the 'slow streets' movement, it can also provide a means of reconciling improper imports that labeled all roads as 'primary' when they should not.

My last comment has to do with the separation of sidewalks from streets- in that in many locales the responsibility of street maintenance falls on a different entity than sidewalk maintenance (for example, in Seattle, the sidewalk is the responsibility of the homeowner, rather than the municipality who IS responsible for the street infrastructure). So it is actually advantageous to have these mapped as separate entities so we can keep track of infrastructure maintenance.

Best regards,

Anat

Sent from my mobile. Please excuse brevity and typos.