[Tagging] automated edits seem to remove crossing=zebra drastically

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Thu Sep 17 14:54:20 UTC 2020

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 7:08 AM Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at rushpost.com> wrote:

> I agree that the current presets available in JOSM are a bit of a botch,
> particularly "uncontrolled" for crossings technically controlled by a
> sign. "Marked" may be better but we still have the issue of changing a
> lot of previously tagged crossings. I think "island" is already covered
> by traffic_calming=island, no?

Where I lived in Seattle, we have these traffic calming islands. They are
basically just a physical small island in the center of an intersection
usually planted with small scrubs. From aerial imagery they might look like
a roundabout, but technically they are not. The purpose is to slow traffic.
Often there isn't even a place for a pedestrian. They play hell with trucks
trying to make deliveries.

I agree that JOSM's presets are insufficient. I've made my own for mapping
pedestrian crossings.

Best,
Clifford
--