[Tagging] automated edits seem to remove crossing=zebra drastically

Tod Fitch tod at fitchfamily.org
Thu Sep 17 17:44:48 UTC 2020

> On Sep 17, 2020, at 9:30 AM, Matthew Woehlke <mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 17/09/2020 10.07, Shawn K. Quinn wrote:
>> On 9/17/20 08:15, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>>> It's also atrocious because it can *only* be verified by survey. As
>>> much as we prefer surveys, the reality is that a lot of mapping
>>> happens just from aerials, where crossings (both marked and, in some
>>> cases, unmarked) can be seen, but signals cannot.
>> I have mapped many traffic signals (and, for that matter, stop and yield
>> signs) based on shadows visible on the satellite photos. If you look
>> carefully enough (Bing and Mapbox Satellite at least), they are there.
>> (Local knowledge helps too in some cases.)
>
> *Traffic* lights I can buy. I am more suspicious of the claim that you can tell whether they have pedestrian crossing signals or not, or that you can reliably identify other signage based solely on outline. *Maybe* if you get lucky and have a very clear shadow at the right angle, but if you try to tell me you can identify https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/7695704414 (n.b. a yield sign) from a shadow in aerial imagery, I am going to be deeply suspicious ;-).

Not from the signs or shadows of the signs, but in my area the pavement markings can often tell you if it is a stop or yield. Some times it is easy (“STOP” or “YIELD” painted on the pavement). But it seems that newer road work uses a different style limit line for a stop versus yield.

Back to the original topic: I am not really sure what, if any, the US version of a “zebra" crossing is versus a “marked” crossing. So I usually just tag as “marked” as that seems to be the more generic item.

The crossing you linked to *might* be an example of a US “zebra” crossing. Can anyone verify that for me. Also, there are no tags on the intersection node itself. Should there be? I have assumed that there should so that vehicle based navigation would have the information needed to advise the driver of particular type of crossing ahead.

Cheers!