[Tagging] automated edits seem to remove crossing=zebra drastically

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 07:38:59 UTC 2020

> Maybe crossing=marked + marked=???
> where ??? is the "type" of crossing - UK_zebra (as well as all their other
> birds & animals!), US_zebra, EU_zebra & so on, so if you know exactly what
> it is you can specify, but if you can only see a crossing marked there, you
> can just call it a marked crossing?

Isn't it obvious from the location what the country is?

Crossings can have all sorts of markings. Most markings just indicate that
it's a crossing, i.e. a preferred location for pedestrians to cross the
road. Those markings result in the *=crossing tag.

UK has a rich wildlife of crossings, but afaik all have controls except the
zebra, so you can tag the control if you think it's worthwhile.

Priority is regarded as a mappable attribute. It seems that, in many
countries, zebra striping is used to grant priority to pedestrians. If
mappers do not think crossing=zebra combined with the location is clear
enough about the priority, then I suggest to add a tag for priority.

In Nederland, zebra also implies drivers are not allowed to park on or
within a certain distance from the crossing. If that's deemed important and
should not just be implied by the zebra tag, it should be tagged on the
section of the road itself.

In Nederland, pedestrians are not allowed to cross the road near the zebra
within a certain distance (50 m or so).
This is important for pedestrian routing. I think this is handled already
by the presence of the way for pedestrians.  I may be wrong, but I believe
routing over a way is preferred to crossing wildly over a road.

In short, I think crossing=zebra says what you see, the implications can be
read from the country the location is in,  and if that's not sure enough
tag the implications separately and precisely.

Changing to crossing=marked then specifying that it's a zebra just makes it
more work, and harder to interpret.