[Tagging] Powerbank Sharing Systems

Jake Edmonds jake_edmonds at me.com
Sat Sep 19 11:47:57 UTC 2020

> On 19 Sep 2020, at 13:26, Andy Townsend <ajt1047 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 19/09/2020 11:59, Jake Edmonds via Tagging wrote:
>> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Powerbank-sharing_systems_by_name
>> https://heychimpy.com
>> https://www.wecharge.me
>>

>> I can’t see any tagging related to powerbank sharing systems.
>>
> Have you tried searching OSM data by name using Taginfo?

I have but I’m aware I might have missed something

>> Unless anyone can point me to existing tagging, I will submit a proposal, based on amenity=bicycle_sharing, titled amenity=powerbank_sharing for tagging docking station.
>>
> I wouldn't worry about that - that'll just waste everyone's time.  If some on-the-ground infrastructure is missing from the map, just map it.  It's perfectly possible to search by name or operator later if a consensus emerges about tagging.

Maybe a proposal that needs voting on isn’t need but is it accepted to add things to the wiki without one?
It’s much nicer to find a page on the wiki than looking through tag info trying to decide if something already exists.

>> Chimpy (linked above) appears to use docking stations and over-the-counter rentals. Should an additional tag, such as service:powerbank:rental=yes, be included for existing features?
>
> Probably not.  We don't tend to tag "everything a shop might sell".  There are exceptions (food, drinks), and if you want to map the availability of a particular service then you are free to do so - just don't expect everyone else to do it too.

I’m unsure on how many Chimpy locations are docked vs over-the-counter (for example) but wouldn’t it be incorrect to add a node for something that doesn’t exist (in the case of over-the-counter).

I wouldn’t expect everyone to do it, but as above, it’s nice to have an example for mappers