[Tagging] [Talk-us] Large fire perimeter tagging?

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Sun Sep 27 07:51:57 UTC 2020

I am a bit dubious about value of updating fire=perimeter

It is something that changes extremely quickly, we should
not encourage people to survey perimeter of ACTIVE fire,
OSM is doomed to be strictly worse source of fire perimeter
than alternative sources....

> fire has absolutely enormous impact to what we do and might map here,
both present and future.  The aftermath of this fire (>85,000 acres this fire alone)
will last for decades, and for OSM to not reflect this in the map

Obviously, we should (try to) update map where situation changed.

Delete building that will not be rebuild (mark them as destroyed:building=*
until aerial imagery will update)
[deleting buildings and remapping them as they get reconstructed may
be viable in cases of heavy mapper presence]

Delete other permanently destroyed objects and so on.

> Do we have landcover tags which could replace landuse=forest
or natural=wood with something like natural=fire_scarred?

AFAIK nothing established, see
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2018-March/035435.html
for related discussion about wind damage.

Sep 24, 2020, 23:30 by steveaOSM at softworkers.com: