[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - electricity:source

Lukas Richert lrichert at posteo.de
Tue Sep 29 14:00:31 UTC 2020

Hi,

I'd like to propose a new tag that defines the source of publicly
available electricity: electricity:source
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/electricity:source>

This could be used as an additional information tag on amenities that
provide electricity for public consumption, such as bike/car charging
stations or camp sites. Many charging stations have nearby solar or use
green pricing tariffs. I've also seen camp sites and harbours advertise
this.

This topic came up as a group wanted to plan a bike tour using e-bikes
but only with renewable energy. I noticed that there appears to be no
easy way to filter for the source of the electricity provided.

Potential discussion: It's not quite clear to me whether power_supply or
electricity is preferred for this type of application. It might also be
interesting for consumers to see which buildings are powered by green
electricity if this is something a store or similar advertises. So it
may be worth expanding the proposal to electricity used by the public
even if not directly available (e.g. lighting in a store).

Best regards,

Lukas