[Tagging] [Talk-us] Large fire perimeter tagging?

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Wed Sep 30 06:28:54 UTC 2020

It appears somewhat-established (in this thread) that data consumers both DO and WILL find a datum of a polygon tagged fire=perimeter to be useful.  This might be for "remap HERE when newer imagery becomes available" purposes (to a mapper in the area like me), to "might want to avoid hiking in this area as some roads / trails may remain or be closed, and it can be quite dangerous with "stump-slump" causing trail failures / slippages..." purposes (to a hiker in the area like me).  Not to mention other reasons / purposes cited here.

I'll say it once again:  such a fire=perimeter IS a real-world "thing," represented in OSM by a lightweight datum that I find to be "worth it" to be in the map.  It serves both better-near-future-mapping purposes as well as end-user / map consumer purposes.  I find that "balance" (storage cost in the database, whether such a datum should or shouldn't be "in the map at all," its usefulness to diverse OSM audiences for various, useful purposes...) to have value, even significance (though I'm local, so I'll grant I'm biased).  It seems others find similar value, too and agree that "sharing" such data, as OSM does, is both valid and valuable (to some) data to map.

After all, we don't want to "hold back people from using (such data) in creative, productive, or unexpected ways," do we?

Thanks for great feedback here,
SteveA