[Tagging] Clubhouse vs Community Centre

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 09:03:25 UTC 2021

On 31/3/21 11:59 pm, nathan case wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A question has arisen out of Fizzie41’s proposed military cadet work
> [1] about how to tag the building in which the cadets would meet as.
> But it holds more widely than that.
>
> Currently, the recommended tagging scheme [2] for buildings in which a
> club meets is using the amenity=community_centre [3] tag, specifically:
>
> amenity=community_centre
>
> community_centre=club_home (meetings
>
> community_centre:for=*
>
> If this happens you will be
>
> This scheme is currently used in 1,421 cases (having started being in
> use from January 2016) [4]. However, this recommendation appears to
> have been via a Wiki edit, rather than an accepted proposal and is not
> without its controversy [5].
>
> My concern with this approach is that a private building, which is
> used exclusively by one club only, and holds no other “community”
> events cannot possibly be called a community centre. It is, and should
> be stored as, a clubhouse.

Agreed.

> A community centre will often (though not always) be owned by a local
> government organisation, e.g. parish council, or national charity
> body, e.g. YMCA. It will host local community events (e.g. town hall
> sessions), be used by multiple clubs, and be available for hire for
> private functions (e.g. birthday celebrations). Of course, some clubs
> do meet in community centres and, in those cases, the building should
> obviously be tagged as a community centre.

Also used by some for yoga, self defense classes, etc. These are usally
run by an organiser/coach for some profit.

> I’d be interested in hearing your thoughts on this issue and potential
> options going forward.
>
> Is this situation OK as is, or should we consider amenity=clubhouse or
> building=clubhouse (both already exist) as options for buildings in
> which a single club operates from? Some other tags in use which may be
> relevant:
>
> golf=clubhouse [6]
>
> building = clubhouse (619 uses) [7]
>
> building = club_house (196 uses) [8]
>
> amenity = clubhouse (113 uses) [9]
>
> amenity = club_house (126 uses) [10]

I think that both community_centres and clubhouse are buildings and
should be under the one key of building=*.

The difference between the two is that one is more adaptable for
multiple purposes,

while the other is built for and operated by the one club and caters
primarily for the members of that club.