[Tagging] Clubhouse vs Community Centre

Robin Burek robin.burek at gmx.de
Thu Apr 1 12:57:26 UTC 2021

> A question has arisen out of Fizzie41’s proposed military cadet work
> [1] about how to tag the building in which the cadets would meet as.
> But it holds more widely than that.

> Currently, the recommended tagging scheme [2] for buildings in which a
> club meets is using the amenity=community_centre [3] tag, specifically:

> amenity=community_centre
>
> community_centre=club_home
>
> community_centre:for=*

> This scheme is currently used in 1,421 cases (having started being in
> use from January 2016) [4]. However, this recommendation appears to
> have been via a Wiki edit, rather than an accepted proposal and is not
> without its controversy [5].

> My concern with this approach is that a private building, which is
> used exclusively by one club only, and holds no other “community”
> events cannot possibly be called a community centre. It is, and should
> be stored as, a clubhouse.

Than this group at itself is also a community....

The cambride dictionary have two definitions of community
<https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/community>:

  * the people living in one particular area *OR*
  * people who are considered as a unit because of their common
    interests, social group, or nationality

I my opinion a club is also a community.
And a community centre is a centre where a community come together.