[Tagging] Clubhouse vs Community Centre

nathan case nathancase at outlook.com
Thu Apr 1 14:40:21 UTC 2021

> but a place that is only used by a club would be a community_centre -> club_home

OK, I guess that is where we disagree. This just isn’t correct in my understanding.

> In this description after the Wikipedia article, my execution is included.

Some of the activities match but only when you assert that club=community in the broadest sense possible. A lot don’t match. Some only match if you ignore the plurality of the statements, e.g. “a place housing local clubs” is not the same as “solely housing a single club to the exclusion of all others”.

> I have to honestly say that I don't understand why you can't just continue using a more established tag that is also grammatically correct ...? "Community_centre" shouldn't just be interpreted too narrowly, because community is more than just a neighborhood or something similar.

It may be grammatically correct (though again I do not necessarily agree that club == community) but it is not accurate.

It is also not much more established than amenity=clubhouse. (And that is even with amenity=clubhouse being incorrectly marked as deprecated until today.)

It has only become the “recommended” option because someone edited the Wiki. There was no discussion or vote on this.

The original proposal for community centre is in fact much more inline with my understanding of a community centre and has nothing to do with being a clubhouse.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Community_Centre

Cheers.