[Tagging] Clubhouse vs Community Centre

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 15:04:02 UTC 2021

On 01/04/2021 15:07, Robin Burek wrote:

> So you can only fall back on the linguistic definition. And there the
> clubhouse is a community centre.

Absolutely not.  Most single-use clubhouses would fail the "duck test"
as a community centre.

Conversely, many community centres may have sports clubs (or other
clubs) associated with them, but that's not the point.

I wholehearted agree with what Nathan wrote earlier:

> A community centre is a very specific term. It has far more
> requirements to it than simply being the meeting place of a club (or
> in your definition a very specific community). Wikipedia gives a list
> of example activities which one normally expects a community centre to
> hold:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_centre#Uses_and_activities
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_centre#Uses_and_activities>
That's why I added the "invalid use of tag" section at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Talk:Tag:amenity%3Dcommunity_centre&oldid=1250245
back in 2015, the discussion of which has carried on - see
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Tag:amenity%3Dcommunity_centre .

Back in 2015, I would certainly have supported reinstating the content
of that page as it existed at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:amenity%3Dcommunity_centre&oldid=1177480
.  Unfortunately, tag changes to e.g. youth clubs such as
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/5124119917/history have corrupted the
original use of the tag, so that we don't have a tag for actual
community centres any more.  The wiki should reflect actual usage, and
right now that runs the whole gamut of non-community-centre clubs and
organisations (religious and secular, sport- and hobby-based and other,
community-based and other).

One question still remains though - how do I tag an actual community
centre?  "amenity=village_hall" works for a subset of these, but there
are many for which it doesn't.

Best Regards,

Andy

(for the avoidance of doubt, written in an entirely personal capacity)