[Tagging] Clubhouse vs Community Centre

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 15:47:37 UTC 2021

On 01/04/2021 16:15, Robin Burek wrote:
> Am 01.04.2021 um 17:04 schrieb Andy Townsend:
>
>> One question still remains though - how do I tag an actual community
>> centre?  "amenity=village_hall" works for a subset of these, but
>> there are many for which it doesn't.
>
> You have the "community_centre=*" to spezify it.
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:community_centre
> There you can find a lot of fittings.

Most of which don't apply to genuine community centres.

This, and what you said elsewhere

> So in my case the club is a community. But not every community is a
> club ;)  Clubs are a subset of community.
simply makes no sense.

By that logic _everything with more than one person in it_ is a
"community centre" - the House of Commons in London, the European
Parliament, the UN in New York...

The actual usage at
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/?key=community_centre#values
suggests that most of
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:community_centre was written by
the OSM equivalent of an "architecture astronaut".  I'm sure they meant
well, but the results are not pretty.

Best Regards,

Andy