[Tagging] multiple schools on one plot

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Fri Apr 2 09:04:23 UTC 2021

Marc_marc makes a valid point.  However, it does seem to be already established that tagging amenity=school on a (multi)polygon that describes "the fence" (should one exist, essentially defining "in or out") or "the boundary" (of the school) suffices.  I wouldn't and don't call that "fake."  I call that "properly tagging an enclosing (multi)polygon," as OSM has been tagging for years and years (and years).  If there are one, two, four, seven...nodes that are ALSO tagged amenity=school inside of that (we have these), that makes perfect semantic sense to me (and many others in OSM).

Same for my example of my local amenity=university (University of California, we have eleven of these as different campuses sprinkled about the state):  it has ten nodes tagged amenity=college, the ten named (residential) colleges at that university campus.  This makes perfect sense both to locals who know this university and its colleges, as well as we who tag in OSM and find amenity=university on the enclosing polygon and amenity=college on ten nodes inside of it (to locate the residential colleges) to be perfectly workable.

"Messing around" with landuse at this point in time has serious potential to "make a mess."  I don't know why we'd actively choose to do that.  If we must "mess around" with landuse, we should do so very, very carefully.

Let's keep our syntax as neat and clean as we can, please!  It's like good hygiene!