[Tagging] multiple schools on one plot

Robin Burek robin.burek at gmx.de
Fri Apr 2 15:01:15 UTC 2021

Am 02.04.2021 um 11:04 schrieb stevea:

> Marc_marc makes a valid point.  However, it does seem to be already established that tagging amenity=school on a (multi)polygon that describes "the fence" (should one exist, essentially defining "in or out") or "the boundary" (of the school) suffices.

amenity=school is not the boundary or the fence - IT  IS the school.
When you habe one ground with one ground with only one school - this is
clear. - When you have one ground (exacerbating maybe just with one
building) and more than one school - and you map the boundary of this
ground as amenity=school too - you create a "fake school" in the
database, because see sentence one.

> Same for my example of my local amenity=university (University of California, we have eleven of these as different campuses sprinkled about the state):  it has ten nodes tagged amenity=college, the ten named (residential) colleges at that university campus.  This makes perfect sense both to locals who know this university and its colleges, as well as we who tag in OSM and find amenity=university on the enclosing polygon and amenity=college on ten nodes inside of it (to locate the residential colleges) to be perfectly workable.

This sounds like the UCSC - and there - from the wiki - is sound for me
like a mistake - amenity=collage is not for university, also not for
organizational units of a university. See the discription in the wiki:
"A place for further education, a post-secondary education institution
*which is **not a University*". - I hope you can help me here.
In the german wiki to amenity=college the is to this an extra section
for this purpose - I would it translate like:
"Differentiation from English usage
In English usage, sub-units (german: "Fakultät") of universities are
also referred to as "colleges". This designation is misleading here, as
such facilities should always be tagged as amenity = university."

So this is a littlebit confusing to me.... And the german explanation
make sense to me.... :D

> "Messing around" with landuse at this point in time has serious potential to "make a mess."  I don't know why we'd actively choose to do that.  If we must "mess around" with landuse, we should do so very, very carefully.
>
> Let's keep our syntax as neat and clean as we can, please!  It's like good hygiene!
For me it is unclean to determine the shared schoolground and the two
(three, four, ...) schools on it both as an school (amenity=school)....