[Tagging] college vs. university - was: multiple schools on one plot

Robin Burek robin.burek at gmx.de
Fri Apr 2 19:56:13 UTC 2021

Am 02.04.2021 um 21:21 schrieb stevea:
>> This sounds like the UCSC - and there - from the wiki - is sound for me like a mistake - amenity=collage is not for university, also not for organizational units of a university. See the discription in the wiki: "A place for further education, a post-secondary education institution which is not a University". - I hope you can help me here.
> OK, here is the help you might need:  the "university" is the entire campus, the whole institution, made up of a graduate school division, ten residential colleges, academic divisions (like natural sciences, humanities, arts...) as well as the requisite buildings and infrastructure necessary to provide these.  The amenity=university tag belongs on the enclosing polygon (so it is) and the amenity=college tags belong on the ten nodes to represent the ten residential colleges as they cluster together offices and classrooms specific TO that college ON the university campus, along with dormitories / apartments for the students who live at that residential college (again, ON the university campus), and again, so they are.
>
>> In the german wiki to amenity=college the is to this an extra section for this purpose - I would it translate like:
>> "Differentiation from English usage
>> In English usage, sub-units (german: "Fakultät") of universities are also referred to as "colleges". This designation is misleading here, as such facilities should always be tagged as amenity = university."
> You'll never be able to "shoehorn" (attempt to "stuff into a simplistic definition a complex concept") the idea of colleges and universities into such an overtly simple "one or the other" kind of ontology:  the richness and variability of colleges, universities and the ways that they are both separate from each other and interact with one another — even on one campus — is impossible to make such a simplistic definition fit very well, especially worldwide.  All OSM needs is the single "existence proof" I've given of UCSC, and its (correct today, correct a decade-plus-ago when it was established — and it has never once been changed) and "there we have it."
>
>> So this is a littlebit confusing to me.... And the german explanation make sense to me.... :D
> You are allowed to be confused.  However, when presented with the actual truth of how we tag, how we document we tag and how we have tagged, I hope you can become unconfused.

Yes, I'm no more confused. You show me, that you don't have understand
my problem with it.

The UCSC is - like a lot of bigger universities in US and worldwide;
Harward, Yale, Rice, Princeton - an *Collegiate university* (see for
more information Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collegiate_university)
This "colleges" are subunits of the main university - more or less
independently from the university administration.
But these sub-units of the university are not covered by the tag
"amenity = college". This is also clear in the definition ("*a
post-secondary education institution which is not a university*"). See
at Yale, Harward an so on.