[Tagging] multiple schools on one plot

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Fri Apr 2 20:43:09 UTC 2021

Apr 2, 2021, 22:36 by steveaOSM at softworkers.com:

> On Apr 2, 2021, at 12:42 PM, Robin Burek <robin.burek at gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> Am 02.04.2021 um 21:21 schrieb stevea:
>>
>>> AND / OR, it is the "area" (as defined by our amenity=school wiki,
>>> where the "Used on these elements" section CLEARLY allows this tag to
>>> be applied to an area / closed polygon or multipolygon). Perhaps this
>>> is a misunderstanding on your part, but this has simply always been
>>> true in OSM, so people have always tagged "school grounds" (the area
>>> defined by the enclosing fence or boundary/border of the school) like
>>> this: with an area way (closed polygon / multipolygon).
>>> It is possible you do not recognize that amenity=school is perfectly OK as a tag on BOTH nodes AND areas.  So, we do.
>>>

>> I have not say anithing like this.
>> A single school on one ground ist mapped as an area -> The school with
>> it (only by the school used) ground. This is ONE school.
>>

> Well, on an AREA, the tag of amenity=school really means "the school grounds."  It simply does:  it always has as an OSM convention.  People have understood this for about 15 years, nearly all of OSM's existence.  Even our wiki for landuse=education says "The more common amenity tags for specific education types...(already) imply landuse=education."  What more do you need to say that your proposal is superfluous?!

amenity=school implies landuse=education, it is true
but landuse=education area would be useful in cases where school complex has its own
name (or other data)

>> So you have an
>> area marked with amenity=school. So you mark the school.
>>

> I'm going to continue to sharpen your understanding here by insisting you say that by tagging with amenity=school on the (multi)polygon, (not a node), you really are "marking the school GROUNDS."

of a single school

> No, I am exactly interpreting it:  on a node, this tag means "the school"

yes

>  or perhaps "the headquarters (administrative offices) of the school."

no, that would be some office tag

> On a (multi)polygon, this tag means "the school grounds."

of a single school (at least it would be nice if that usage could be moved into that direction)