[Tagging] Clubhouse vs Community Centre

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 3 16:15:27 UTC 2021

On Sat, 3 Apr 2021 at 16:42, Brian M. Sperlongano <zelonewolf at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I tried to figure out how to tag a local club that I am familiar with.  It
> is a Portuguese-American heritage club, and the facility has a building, a
> soccer field, and a parking lot.  The building contains a restaurant and
> bar (the restaurant being open to the public only once a week on Friday
> evenings).  Upstairs in the building is a meeting room / banquet hall.

If it is mostly members-only, or members + guests, that makes it a club.  We
don't (yet) have a good tag for clubs in general (but you have made me aware
that we do already have a good tag for social clubs).

> For the overall facility (the grounds) I ended up going with
> amenity=community_centre + community_centre=club_home.  I would not call
> this facility a "community center" in local vernacular but the wiki
> definition seems to fit in with what this is.

I wouldn't call it a community centre in British vernacular, either.

> For the building (club house?) I tagged it as building=clubhouse +
> amenity=social_club.  Though I am told by my British counterparts that it
> is TOTALLY WRONG to use amenity=social_club outside of the UK...

The wiki says these things are mainly found in the UK and parts of its
former empire.  That doesn't mean they don't exist elsewhere, just that
outside of those geographic bounds what you're mapping may not fit
the definition, so read the definition closely.  In the UK, many of these
have names like British Legion, Fubar Working Men's Club or
Fubb Miner's Welfare, which makes it easier to decide.

> but reading the definition it seemed a reasonable fit based on my personal
> knowledge of the place.

Going by your description, it fits very well.

>   There is no wiki page for building=clubhouse (though there are >600
> usages), but the combination felt like a cleaner description.

Cue the argument about function vs form.  I tend to go with form.  If it's
recognizable as an X, it's building=x, otherwise building=yes.  Others
say only building=yes is valid.

--
Paul