[Tagging] multiple schools on one plot

Jeroen Hoek mail at jeroenhoek.nl
Sun Apr 4 07:01:51 UTC 2021

> I am aware that it is rarely done (5% of all landuses have a name tag), but
> my suggestion is to deprecate this.

If you wish to separate naming of areas from landuse, you will need to
introduce a new place-tag for such features which often lie below the
size of place=neighbourhood and don't fit in the description of
place=locality. You have my support if you go that route, but 'name' is
currently one attribute that landuse=* has no alternative for.

And of course the percentage of landuse=* areas with a name is low
between all the nameless ones. It is still used over 1,5 million times.

> I am aware that it is rarely done (5% of all landuses have a name
> tag), but my suggestion is to deprecate this. It makes it impossible
>  to add more detailed landuse, as this would exclude these areas from
>  the „housing project“/named area.
>
> landuse should be about the usage of land, not imply other concepts
> like housing projects.

It doesn't in these cases. Only the name of that piece of residential area.

>> as can landuse=retail for shopping centres.
>

> the tag for shopping-centers is shop=mall landuse=retail is for land
> primarily used for retail, and can contain> any number of malls and
> shops, just like several landuse=retail could together describe a
> single mall.

Which is documented as applying to the outline of buildings (or as a
node), not on an area containing several stores (and their parking lot)
that are collectively named something.

As long as it is just a name being stuck to whatever the landuse
represents, this is fine in lieu of something more specific. Names
matter to people.