[Tagging] multiple schools on one plot

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Mon Apr 5 15:00:29 UTC 2021

On Apr 5, 2021, at 7:43 AM, Jmapb <jmapb at gmx.com> wrote:

> On 4/2/2021 7:07 AM, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging wrote:
>
>> It avoid using fake amenity=school
>>
>> If there are 2 schools in one complex, then there should be 2
>> amenity=school
>> objects there - not 1, not 3 and not 23.
>>
> This is key IMO. Ideally, I should be able to answer the question "How
> many schools are in this region?" by querying Overpass for
> amenity=school. If our recommended tagging scheme yields the answer of 3
> when only 2 actual schools exist, then we need better a better scheme.

No, not so, at least with such an overly-simplistic (and hence incorrect) query, since it makes specious assumptions:  as amenity=school applied to a (multi)polygon can mean EITHER "school" OR (importantly) "school grounds," (especially with multiple schools on such a single site, e.g. if there are multiple nodes tagged amenity=school inside of the (multi)polygon also so tagged), one making such a query would need to determine whether or not this convention is extant in the query results.

Sometimes queries can be, and therefore are, quite straightforward, yielding correct results from an easy query.  In this case, because of our conventions (as I thanked Minh for stating in my last post here), such a query is not quite as straightforward.  This isn't anyone's fault in particular, simply a result of OSM having established a convention with applying the amenity=school tag to (multi)polygons having a distinct (and slightly different) meaning separate from applying amenity=school to a node.