[Tagging] Colocated school/churchgrounds (was Re: multiple schools on one plot)

Jmapb jmapb at gmx.com
Mon Apr 5 17:24:10 UTC 2021

On 4/5/2021 4:14 AM, Minh Nguyen wrote:
> In the United States, where I live and map, parochial schools (or
> other religious elementary schools) are very often colocated with
> churches. The church and school share many facilities on the grounds
> ....... I choose amenity=school instead of landuse=religious for the
> grounds because it has more similarities to a dedicated schoolground
> than a dedicated churchground, if only because schools typically
> require more infrastructure than churches do.

IMO as long as the school in question is a religious school, using
landuse=religious is appropriate. I've done this many times in
situations similar to what you're describing.

I'd never put a church inside of an amenity=school polygon unless the
answer to "Is the church located inside the school?" is "Yes."

Jason