[Tagging] Proposed rewrite Of highway=track wiki page - Third Draft

Zeke Farwell ezekielf at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 19:06:33 UTC 2021

I'd like to thank Andrew Harvey, Christoph Hormann, Mateusz Konieczny,
Brian Sperlongano, Martin Koppenhoefer, Kevin Broderick, Bert -Araali- Van
Opstal, and Florian Lohoff for providing very helpful feedback on the first
few drafts of my proposed rewrite of the highway=track wiki page sent to
this list last month.  I've done my best to take all of your comments and
concerns into account and have made considerable revisions.

I've settled on two key distinctions for highway=track that this draft is
based on:  track roads are 1. "low importance land access roads like farm
or forest tracks" and 2. "not part of the regular road network".  I feel
that this is very much in the same spirit as the current
agriculture/forestry based definition while also expanding it to better
match worldwide usage.  These two distinctions intentionally leave room for
interpretation.  How exactly we decide if a road is of "low importance" or
part of the "regular road network" will vary from region to region.
Similarly, a "land access road" is a somewhat vague term, but I feel it
concisely captures the idea that track roads are for accessing areas of
open land, not permanent residences, settlements, facilities, etc.

Here is the latest draft.  Please let me know what you think.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Ezekielf/Tag:highway%3Dtrack

First draft for reference:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=User:Ezekielf/Tag:highway%3Dtrack&oldid=2123291

Last month's tagging list discussion for reference:
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2021-March/060353.html