[Tagging] Proposed rewrite Of highway=track wiki page - Third Draft

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 22:15:33 UTC 2021

On Tue, Apr 6, 2021 at 5:45 PM Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> 2. For access to leisure related features like camping sites I have always
> used service or higher, and not track, not sure they make a good example
> for track.

Zeke and I have hiked in some of the same areas.  I'm pretty certain that
the camping sites he and I have in mind would hardly be recognized by the
Europeans as such.  In many cases, the 'trailhead' is just a little stretch
of track that's wide enough to park a few cars, and the 'camping site' is
some distance in the woods and consists of a big enough flat area to pitch
a tent or two, and a ring of stones to contain a fire. (In New York, a
trailhead will also usually have a register book nearby, but usually out of
sight of the road so as not to attract vandals.)

I'm not trying necessarily to export an American cultural assumption, but
it doesn't seem to me that a turnout, the fact that a wilderness trail
crosses the road, and the presence of a primitive campsite are really
enough to promote a pair of ruts in the woods to 'service'. These roads are
a challenge to tag correctly here, because 'wilderness management' is
disputed as being an aspect of 'forestry', and that's their chief purpose -
getting rangers, foresters, researchers, and, yes, hikers, hunters,
trappers and anglers in and out of the woods.
--
73 de ke9tv/2, Kevin