[Tagging] RFC - Discourage railway=preserved

Jeroen Hoek mail at jeroenhoek.nl
Wed Apr 7 11:48:40 UTC 2021

On 07-04-2021 12:14, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging wrote:
> Note "Database layout change" part - right now this tag is not in a database
> used for rendering :(
>
> So it may require changing in database import definition and deployment will
> be definitely delayed and/or more complicated.
>
> Though it is also possible that OSM Carto has no need for yet another barely
> distinguishable and unclear rendering difference, maybe railway=preserved
> special rendering should be dropped?

As Marc_marc also noted, I think you can just use the hstore tags column
to filter on those (I know this works in my airfield rendering
experiment), unless that is not an option because of performance. Do you
know who we could ping in that Carto issue to answer that question?

Dropping rendering is a choice that the Carto maintainers can make of
course. I personally don't have a strong opinion either way (slightly
preferring some form of differing rendering), just that rendering the
old method but not the new method is undesirable at this point where the
new method has superseded the old one.