[Tagging] Proposed rewrite Of highway=track wiki page - Third Draft

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Wed Apr 7 11:56:25 UTC 2021

I think there is a lot of good and useful stuff in that draft and it improves on many of the issues with your previous sketch but the initial definition (which is what many people reading it would exclusively focus on) is fairly vague and could easily be misunderstood.

I know it is hard - considering the different practice of use of the tag in different parts of the world - to formulate a single concise definition that is not very broad and vague.

That you integrated my suggestion to use 'land access' as a mandatory criterion is a good idea i think but using 'low importance' (which is inherently and ostentatiously subjective, relative and non-verifiable) and 'not considered part of the regular road network' (where it is not clear what this actually means) as additional delineating qualifiers is less so IMO.

My impression is that the low importance (in the sense of low use frequency) and the lack of significance as part of the regular road network (in the sense of not serving a significant connectivity function in that network) inherently come with a road having the predominant function of serving as access to the land around and not specific objects on the land.  Accordingly i would consider these additional qualifiers superfluous.

You could write something like: Roads that primarily serve as access to the land itself and as such are further characterized by low use frequency and don't practically serve a regular connectivity role in the regular road network.

But overall i think this draft is now already a significant improvement over existing documentation.

--
Christoph Hormann
https://www.imagico.de/