[Tagging] RFC - facade gardens

joost schouppe joost.schouppe at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 12:51:40 UTC 2021

Hi,

We started mapping "facade gardens" in Belgium. The tag we've started to
use is leisure <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:leisure>=garden
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:leisure%3Dgarden> + garden:type
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:garden:type>=facade_garden
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:garden:type%3Dfacade_garden&action=edit&redlink=1>.

Facade gardens are miniature gardens in urban areas. How to recognize them:
- perched against a private facade
- replaces existing pavement, usually a hole in the sidewalk
- very small, usually just a meter or so along the facade, and about 30 cm
deep
- not operated by the government, but rather a private initiative (this is
usually recognizable by the very "personal style" of the little garden)

While tiny, local governments encourage the creation of these gardens for
their perceived positive effect on neighborhood livability, air quality and
heat island effect. It is unclear to me if this concept is known in other
countries than Belgium and Holland, so it is unknown if facade_garden is
the best possible term to use here.

The tagging proposal also introduces some extra tags to add extra
information about the garden.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Facade_garden

Best,
Joost Schouppe