[Tagging] Proposed rewrite Of highway=track wiki page - Third Draft

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Wed Apr 7 13:50:18 UTC 2021

Apr 7, 2021, 15:39 by zelonewolf at gmail.com:

> On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 9:26 AM Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <> tagging at openstreetmap.org> > wrote:
>

>> Apr 7, 2021, 14:41 by >> zelonewolf at gmail.com>> :

>>> This is an improvement, but I think it's still too verbose.  I would say:
>>>
>>> Low-usage land access roads
>>>
>> This is not really working. There are highway=track with heavy traffic.
>> With high number of passages of logging trucks every day,
>> at least during logging season.
>> There are highway=service service=driveway
>> not used even once for months or years.
>>

> If access roads to a forestry area are heavily used at the moment, because a specific area is being harvested at that moment, these are still low-usage roads when considered over a general timespan.

Even if you take average over long time there are still highway=service with lower use
than some highway=track (even if you exclude arterial highway=track)

> If you are talking about arterial roads that are used to access a larger network of access roads to forestry areas, and are used continuously to access different logging spots

If it arterial logging road then it is still highway=track.

> this is now a road network

Strictly speaking, any highway=track is also part of road network (that is why "regular"
appears in "regular road network")

>  and these are functionally not track roads

Why? They are also access road to land, rather than to something else

> -- these are roads used to access other roads, and thus are better tagged as unclassified or perhaps you could argue service.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=49.49573&mlon=20.60244#map=17/49.49573/20.60244 <https://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=49.49573&mlon=20.60244#map=17/49.49573/20.60244&layers=N>
and many other highway=track are providing access to more minor highway=track

> The point about driveways is irrelevant here, as driveways are a distinct class of road separate land access roads.

OK, there are also highway=residential with miniscule use.