[Tagging] Proposed rewrite Of highway=track wiki page - Third Draft

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Wed Apr 7 14:07:49 UTC 2021

I echo Richard's polite exhortation to include very important access=* (and surface=*) tags on tracks (ESPECIALLY tracks), also especially when they are explicitly known.  I sent Zeke (off list) a hearty thank-you for his excellent improvements to this documentation.  Although, knowing that Richard does yeoman work tweaking routers and knowing that as I have tagged a decade-plus of track-tagging (whether for agricultural use, because they are or aren't bicycle-legal, for equestrians (sometimes as explicitly as bridleway, sometimes not), or because they are what is sometimes known in the USA as a "truck trail" or marked on USGS maps as "4WD only," it cannot be stated strongly enough:  access=*, surface=* and tracktype=grade* tags are very important to include on highway=track (when they are known).

You might even say "strongly recommended" for all three of these tags with highway=track, as their omission over the years has contributed to the ambiguities we now better untangle.