[Tagging] Proposed rewrite Of highway=track wiki page - Third Draft

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Wed Apr 7 14:56:43 UTC 2021

Apr 7, 2021, 16:29 by zelonewolf at gmail.com

>>> If you are talking about arterial roads that are used to access a larger network of access roads to forestry areas, and are used continuously to access different logging spots
>>>
>> If it arterial logging road then it is still highway=track.
>>

> This is absurd logic and surely the first time that someone has claimed that an artery could be tagged as a track - taken to its logical conclusion, it would imply that if, hypothetically, a private logging company in the vast woods of Maine built a 4-lane paved road or even a motorway as a main artery to allow their trucks access to their logging network, we would tag that as track.  At some point the line needs to be drawn between simple land access and higher class roads.  A supposed road with sustained high-traffic over a long period of time quite simply fails the "duck test" as a logging road.

If such road would be
- unused for accessing settlements etc
- used as an arterial logging road

Then yes, I would tag it as a highway=track. That is why we have
tracktype=grade1 and surface=asphalt for some highway=track

And in fact I tagged arterial, asphalted, well maintained logging roads as highway=track
(for reference, it was something like https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Asphalt_track.jpg )

Is "built a 4-lane paved road or even a motorway as a main artery" theoretical
example?

If not - can you share info about location and maybe some images?
(also if not, I wonder if I am missing some context)

Because I would expect that for practical reasons largest one would
be far smaller, or at least would become dual use and leading also to
settlements (logging operation so large that 4-lane road would be
justified would likely also generate its own town/villages).

I would expect the larges one to be 2-lane paved road and even
that would be ridiculously unusual
Single lane paved or maybe 2-lane unpaved is what I would expect
as a typical upper limit.

>>> and these are functionally not track roads
>>>
>> Why? They are also access road to land, rather than to something else
>>

> Simply put, because trees take decades to grow, so any road used as access to a logging area that has sustained, continual usage, over a period of years and not just at the moment because the trees are matured in a particular area, clearly has an arterial functional usage, rather than a land-access one.

I meant roads of arterial land-access. So it is both
- land-access road
- has arterial function in structure of land-access roads

Note that in for example Poland forest is not clear-cut
across huge areas but it is done in parts, so for example forest around
this arterial highway=track logging road
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/205460020#map=15/50.0985/19.6191
is continuously logged, as result tracks across forest are in continous use.
The same goes for majority of forests in Poland, with only final stretches
of tracks appearing/disappearing completely (and as result not being mapped)

For example I would expect that
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/28529198#map=15/49.5739/21.2823
or https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/165370160#map=15/51.6714/21.2386
are in continous use.