[Tagging] RFC - facade gardens

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 21:20:45 UTC 2021

Am Mi., 7. Apr. 2021 um 14:56 Uhr schrieb joost schouppe <
joost.schouppe at gmail.com>:

> Hi,
>
> We started mapping "facade gardens" in Belgium. The tag we've started to
> use is leisure <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:leisure>=garden
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:leisure%3Dgarden> + garden:type
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:garden:type>=facade_garden
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:garden:type%3Dfacade_garden&action=edit&redlink=1>.
>

> Facade gardens are miniature gardens in urban areas. How to recognize
> them:
> - perched against a private facade
> - replaces existing pavement, usually a hole in the sidewalk
> - very small, usually just a meter or so along the facade, and about 30 cm
> deep
> - not operated by the government, but rather a private initiative (this is
> usually recognizable by the very "personal style" of the little garden)

maybe "facade garden" is a good term to describe these (or "vertical
garden"), but I do not think that leisure=garden is a good fit. These are
typically plants growing on a facade or wall, and are not "accessible", you
can not step on the garden, indeed, it isn't even a garden from some
perspective. Maybe you could describe it more in terms of facade than in
terms of garden.

Cheers,
Martin

PS: Some examples I have in mind: