[Tagging] Proposed rewrite Of highway=track wiki page - Third Draft

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 14:10:20 UTC 2021

On Thu, 8 Apr 2021 at 08:01, Peter Elderson <pelderson at gmail.com> wrote:

I'm not British enough to know if outdoor recreation is sufficiently
> different from recreation grounds. But hey, that probably goes for most of
> the world! In my mind, outdoor recreation often takes place on recreation
> grounds.

Recreation grounds are designated areas for outdoor recreation, usually
containing one or more sports pitches.  The sports pitches may be crudely
marked and other things can be done on them when not in use for sport
(no signs saying "keep off the pitch").  Outdoor recreation takes places
outdoors, not necessarily in formally-designated areas.  Hiking is
outdoor recreation, but takes place on trails, not recreation grounds.

2.
> "Low importance roads" in the definition: that is, from a certain
> viewpoint. In other respects, a track can be very important, e.g. in terms
> of damages if it's blocked. Maybe just say minor roads, as you do a few
> times later on?

There is a word in British English: "byway."  It has legal access
implications
above and beyond simple OSM tracks (some will legally be byways, some
will not) but some of the wording here may influence thoughts on how
to define tracks: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byway_(road)

--
Paul