[Tagging] Colocated school/churchgrounds (was Re: multiple schools on one plot)

Jeroen Hoek mail at jeroenhoek.nl
Fri Apr 9 08:24:59 UTC 2021

On 09-04-2021 01:11, Minh Nguyen wrote:
> It would be less intuitive than querying for a tag for schoolgrounds
> that's distinct from the tag for schools, and it still wouldn't address
> the issue of multiple schools colocated on the same grounds. On the
> other hand, landuse=educational would prevent me from explicitly tagging
> a shared schoolground (since landuse=religious shares the same key).

Not at all. landuse=education;religious is valid, although I would use
it sparingly because the general contract of landuse-tagging seems to be
that the dominating landuse is tagged. A similar thing happens with
landuse=retail in areas where there are shops on the ground floor and
apartments above. We tag these landuse=retail even though you might
expect landuse=residential;retail.

The questions I would ask when encountering a school and a place of
worship on one terrain is whether these really aren't two plots after
all, and if not, whether this is (for example) a school which happens to
have something like a chapel, or a church which provides a school as
well, and choose the one that is the most prominent.

Do you have an example we can look at?