[Tagging] Colocated school/churchgrounds (was Re: multiple schools on one plot)

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 11:22:24 UTC 2021

Am Fr., 9. Apr. 2021 um 12:05 Uhr schrieb Jeroen Hoek <mail at jeroenhoek.nl>:

> > Can a university for the formation of priests be seen as
> > landuse=religious? (IMHO probably yes).
>
> Choose the dominant function. That usually works. I don't know who
> introduced landuse=religious, but its intent seems to be tagging of the
> grounds associated with a place, or places, of worship.

I did not understand whether you consider the formation of priests
"religious purposes" or not.

> > What about the administration of the church?
>
> Could be office=* on a landuse=commercial if it is in some office
> building, or part of a landuse=religious area if part of a larger church
> compound.

what has it to do with a "church compound"? And how can I understand if it
is part of the "compound"? For example here:
someone has created a relation for facilities that belong to the holy see
(but are not part of the vatican):
shall these get the landuse=religious?
shall the territory of the Vatican get it?
Is the railway=station of the Vatican there for religious purposes
(arguably yes)?

IMHO we should deprecate landuse=religious and encourage adding of
"religion" and "denomination" tags to places with religious connections.

> > A christian nursing home? A hospital run by the church? A
> > kindergarden run by nuns?
>
> Tag their primary amenity. The fact that a school, care facility, or
> hospital has a religious signature doesn't make it landuse=religious.

why not? Isn't the reason the church has set up a hospital that they do it
for religious purposes?

Their landuse is derived from their primary, dominant function (in these
> cases implied by their amenity-tags). Perhaps the wiki should be edited
> to highlight that?
>
> > A hostel for pilgrims run by the church? A
> > hostel predominantly used for pilgrimage but privately operated?
>
> Could be landuse=religious, but I would expect at least a chapel or some
> other place of worship there. Otherwise as above; tag their primary
> function.

if I understand you correctly, you are equating "religious purposes" to
worshipping?

> > I am living in a city where a quarter of the housing is property of the
> > church. Is this all landuse=religious?
>
> Nope. landuse=residential, unless it is a dormitory for a convent or
> something.

isn't a dormitory for a convent "residential" as well?

Cheers,
Martin