[Tagging] Colocated school/churchgrounds (was Re: multiple schools on one plot)

Jmapb jmapb at gmx.com
Fri Apr 9 14:32:52 UTC 2021

On 4/8/2021 7:11 PM, Minh Nguyen wrote:

> Vào lúc 06:55 2021-04-06, Jmapb đã viết:
>>
>> It's something you'd have to decide on a case-by-case basis. My
>> questions would be -- Is everything in the area religious? Is everything
>> in the area educational? You could make a case for tagging both, or
>> overlapping to some degree.
>
> Interesting, it hadn't occurred to me to tag a shared grounds
> simultaneously as amenity=school *and* landuse=religious. That would
> at least allow a savvy data consumer to differentiate shared
> school/churchgrounds. For example, an Overpass query would subtract
> double-tagged amenity=school landuse=religious features from the
> overall number of amenity=school features.

For tagging amenity=school over a large area, my question would be
similar -- Is everything inside the area part of the school?

There may be good reasons to double-tag some polygons as you describe,
but I don't think it would alleviate the problem of using amenity=school
as a pseudo-landuse tag. First, this problem is not at all confined to
religious schools. Second, it's akin to troll tagging -- one tag
shouldn't be presumed to undo another.