[Tagging] Colocated school/churchgrounds (was Re: multiple schools on one plot)

Minh Nguyen minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us
Sat Apr 10 02:09:36 UTC 2021

Vào lúc 01:47 2021-04-09, Martin Koppenhoefer đã viết:
> Am Fr., 9. Apr. 2021 um 10:30 Uhr schrieb Jeroen Hoek
> <mail at jeroenhoek.nl
> <mailto:mail at jeroenhoek.nl>>:
>
>     On 09-04-2021 01:11, Minh Nguyen wrote:
>
>     The questions I would ask when encountering a school and a place of
>     worship on one terrain is whether these really aren't two plots after
>     all, and if not, whether this is (for example) a school which happens to
>     have something like a chapel, or a church which provides a school as
>     well, and choose the one that is the most prominent.
>

> The reason this causes problems is, that "landuse=religion" isn't
> clearly defined. The wiki does not restrict the usage to place of
> worship. It is land used for "religious purposes" and can, according to
> the wiki, include "meeting halls, educational facilities, domestic
> quarters for the residing religious leaders, gardens, memorials,
> statues, historic relics, bell towers, grave yards and other common
> amenities, such as parking, storage, and other buildings in support of
> the main facility." What is "the main facility" referring to? The tag
> was discussed but AFAIK never voted
>
> IMHO "religion" is orthogonal, in many cases that aren't actual places
> of worship, to other established landuse classes (e.g. administration,
> education, residential, ...)
>
> Can a university for the formation of priests be seen as
> landuse=religious? (IMHO probably yes). What about the administration of
> the church? A christian nursing home? A hospital run by the church? A
> kindergarden run by nuns? A hostel for pilgrims run by the church? A
> hostel predominantly used for pilgrimage but privately operated?
>
> I am living in a city where a quarter of the housing is property of the
> church. Is this all landuse=religious?

I think we're overthinking it (myself included). landuse=religious is an
unbiased alternative to landuse=churchyard and an improvement over the
previous situation in which mappers were using amenity=place_of_worship
twice on both the worship space (what people normally think of as the
POI) and the surrounding campus.

landuse=religious might also work for some other things like a religious
order's motherhouse or a religious retreat center in the countryside.
But overall, it's probably better to think of it as a fallback for when
other, more readily apparent types of landuse don't fit well. My
contention earlier in the thread is that amenity=school does fit better,
except that it occupies the same awkward "amenityuse" space as
amenity=place_or_worship.

minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us