[Tagging] Colocated school/churchgrounds (was Re: multiple schools on one plot)

Jmapb jmapb at gmx.com
Sat Apr 10 13:14:49 UTC 2021

On 4/9/2021 9:59 PM, Minh Nguyen wrote:

> To be pedantic, I wouldn't view it as one tag undoing the other, just
> two completely overlapping tags reflecting completely overlapping land
> use.

By "undoing" I was referring to this suggestion you made earlier:

> That would at least allow a savvy data consumer to differentiate
> shared school/churchgrounds. For example, an Overpass query would
> subtract double-tagged amenity=school landuse=religious features from
> the overall number of amenity=school features.
If you're asking a data consumer to ignore the amenity=school tag on
objects that are also tagged landuse=religious, then you're breaking the
tagging model. Data consumers shouldn't have to check the presence and
value of other tags to decide whether to trust the first tag.

In the example you've given, if you believe the church is located on the
school grounds, I don't see any problem with tagging amenity=school on
the entire area. But then please don't tag an additional amenity=school
on the school building itself. One school = one amenity.

Jason