[Tagging] Feature proposal - RFC 2 - Utility poles proposal

Bert -Araali- Van Opstal bert.araali.afritastic at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 17:12:48 UTC 2021

I don' have any major objections to this proposal.  It is well
structured, very professionally and clearly sectioned and written.
Understandable for non-technical users, as it should be.

I do need some clarifications regarding:

> A pole can support several networks and different utilities. However
> they are often installed for a given purpose on which some side
> business come afterwards: we rolled out electricity networks at first
> and then use the same poles for telephone lines. Those poles remains
> (utility <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:utility>=power
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:utility%3Dpower> +) power
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:power>=pole
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:power%3Dpole> and won't
> become utility
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:utility>=power;telecom
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:utility%3Dpower;telecom&action=edit&redlink=1>.

I don't see any advantage, ambiguity in using utility=power;telecom (or
other multiple value). In the contrary, allowing it would improve
consistency.  Would also make it more easy to compose queries to
identify single and mixed use networks or poles. So why would you make
this exception ?

Just a minor change in the examples:

Do not refer to copper cables or wires, use METAL cables or wires
instead.  In many cases aluminium cables or even a mixtures of alu and
copper wires in cables is used. Referring to copper cables specifically,
from the outside in most cases not distinguishable from alu cables, is
confusing.

Greetings, Bert Araali