[Tagging] Deprecation of landuse=forest (was: Feature Proposal - RFC - boundary=forest(_compartment) relations)

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 16:34:07 UTC 2021

I agree with this observation. Deprecation of landuse=forest is not
necessary for the mapping of forest boundaries. It is an additional goal of
the proposal, but presented as if it were necessary.
Though I agree that a move to natural=wood for all wooded areas would be
beneficial, there is a big if: if it is supported by a majority, not of
mailing list members but of mappers. I do not see such a majority.
I think at most a recommendation to move landuse=forest to natural=wood,
pointing out the benefits,  would be in order. Once a movement/trend
begins, you can estimate the growing support, and maybe at some point in
time deprecation would be in order.

Peter Elderson