[Tagging] RFC - Discourage railway=preserved

Stefan Keller sfkeller at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 21:24:52 UTC 2021

This seems to be a rather half-baked proposal. And it could be easily enhanced.

The proposed solution "railway:preserved=yes" is a typical case of
[namespacing and Prefix fooling] (see there). Plus: What is the
meaning of "railway:preserved=no|both"? I see the issue of adding more
aspects.

So, if you want to differentiate construction aspects like
"narrow-gauge" create a secondary tag (similar to cuisine which is a
secondary tag to restaurants).

~Stefan

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Namespace#Over-namespacing_and_Prefix-fooling