[Tagging] RFC - Discourage railway=preserved

Rolf Eike Beer eike at sf-mail.de
Mon Apr 12 05:30:45 UTC 2021

Am Montag, 12. April 2021, 01:06:07 CEST schrieb Martin Koppenhoefer:
> sent from a phone
>
> > On 12 Apr 2021, at 00:45, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging
> > <tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:
> >
> > tags used  > 46 000 times
> > ( https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/railway=narrow_gauge )
> > and > 2 186 000 times
> > ( https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/railway=rail )
>
> sorry Mateusz, but 2 million railway=rail are not a point for keeping
> railway=narrow_gauge, the latter could be tagged with rail as well (maybe
> some are?)

narrow_gauge is in relation to what is the standard width of that country. So
a highspeed line from from France to Spain must change it's tagging at the
border from railway=rail (north) to railway=narrow_gauge (south) because the
regular gauge in Spain is 1668mm in contrast to the 1435mm used in remaining
Europe. I guess most of them are still tagged "rail".

But this is a totally different discussion. "railway:preserved=yes" would work
for everything, even if it is a monorail or whatever.

Eike