[Tagging] Deprecation of landuse=forest

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 08:29:16 UTC 2021

On 12/4/21 1:44 am, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have looked at this for the first time today.
>
> Before, judging from the subject line, I thought: Ok, someone wants to
> map some forest details, I'm fine with that.
>
> Now I find out that instead someone wants to deprecate landuse=forest
> which is used over half a million times in my country - basically for
> anything that has trees on it but is not completely unmanaged.
>
> It was certainly not the intention of the original author, but I do
> feel a little tricked here. Saying clearly that you want to get rid of
> landuse=forest would have made me look at this more closely!
>
> I have now voted against the proposal. In my eyes, mapping boundaries
> (and sub-boundaries) of managed forests is a niche interest. For me as
> a non-forestry-expert, I'm mainly interested in where trees are and
> where no trees are.

So why use landuse as that key is for 'the human use of the land'? I'
recommend the tag natural=wood is the tag to use for 'here be trees' -
Note that the key 'natural' is for both 'natural' and 'man altered' things!

> I don't care much for whether an area is theoretically under forestry
> management or not. There is room in OSM for niche interests, I have no
> problem with that, but I won't let a niche interest tell me that half
> a million forests in Germany need to be re-tagged now (and possibly
> even with some fuzziness along the borders, like "uh the managed area
> ends here, yes there are still trees after that but those are not part
> of the forestry area" and stuff like that).

Same thing happens for national parks - trees don't follow human
boundaries.

Unfortunately some national parks are tagged with natural=wood and then
others have come along and added holes in the tress for lakes etc .. not
realizing that it also excludes the national park from those areas.

> I'm sorry for not chiming in earlier, I would have if the subject had
> told me that the plan is to get rid of landuse=forest altogether.

Happens.