[Tagging] RFC - facade gardens

Bert -Araali- Van Opstal bert.araali.afritastic at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 18:03:47 UTC 2021

I also prefer a more general term like "urban garden".

It does exist, and the popularity is growing, not just on facades.  In
Africa we get more and more gardens on roof tops, basements and even
indoors (in semi open or housing or premises with glass roofs or inner
gardens in compounds).  We are also struggling with how to tag them,
allotments, leisure=garden ?  We even see some developments on a
commercial and industrial scale, all deserve distinguished mapping.
I think urban garden could work fine and maybe add an attribution key to
more diversify the different types ? A good read is
https://plantingcities.eu/oer/models-of-urban-gardens/
<https://plantingcities.eu/oer/models-of-urban-gardens/>.

A big challenge here is how to map them, as the facade gardens might be
stacked at the same place across several building levels.  Same concept
as with indoor mapping ? What are you thinking about ?

Greetings, Bert Araali