[Tagging] RFC - Discourage railway=preserved

osm at poppe.dev osm at poppe.dev
Wed Apr 14 11:07:15 UTC 2021

Good afternoon,

Stefan,

I am well versed in database design, albeit not for 30 years, but around 20 should also do it I think. I am very well aware of the implications of database schemes have towards data-consistency and the effect it has on data-consumers.

I can not, under no circumstances, follow the argument, that adding railway:preserved=* would be over-namespacing. Simply because there are already (according to taginfo) 1171 tags, starting with the railway:-namespace, the most prominent one with 260k uses (railway:traffic_mode). So railway: IS an established namespace that is used quite heavily. Adding another subtag to it (that makes ALMOST no sense when added to an object without the railway:-namespace), will not compromise any data-consistency but rather add to it (IMHO).

Your proposal of railway=rail;preserved, is discouraged from use as described in [2], because railway=* defines, on a very essential basis, WHAT an object IS, so I don't think that it would be a community-accepted alternative that's favourable over railway:preserved=yes.

Kai

[2] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Semi-colon_value_separator#When_NOT_to_use

On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 08:57:23 +0200 Tag discussion, strategy and related tools tagging at openstreetmap.org said