[Tagging] RFC - Discourage railway=preserved

osm at poppe.dev osm at poppe.dev
Wed Apr 14 12:16:10 UTC 2021

Hi Marc,

of course, not everything needs to be railway:, I was merely saying that it's not wrong to do so - neither is it wrong to use a different tag. I read your reply of usage=preserved - that is something one would have to think about, yet a railway around my corner is preserved (it's maintained by a heritage company), yet it's tagged with usage=branch (and not tourism) because it has a frequent use for freight, a summer-non-covid use for tourism and a proposed used for passenger/tram (which COULD see a change from railway=rail to railway=tram) services, so I wonder if usage would be the right major tag to use here (because I'm unsure if this situation is negligable unique or if this is a common theme).

Kai

On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 13:42:23 +0200 Tag discussion, strategy and related tools tagging at openstreetmap.org said