[Tagging] RFC - Discourage railway=preserved

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 13:17:45 UTC 2021

sent from a phone

> On 14 Apr 2021, at 09:37, Jeroen Hoek <mail at jeroenhoek.nl> wrote:
>
> Tags like oneway=no act in
> the same way. They are not needed for data consumers, but tell other
> mappers that to be weary to change this tag to yes (with the
> accompanying note often detailing the reason).

and things get more complicated with exceptions, e.g. motorway_links are assumed to be oneway (as are motorways), so there are some cases where oneway=no is “required”.
Or recently I had a discussion about overtaking=no being the typical situation on 2 lane roads in the US (it was at least presented like this), while overtaking=yes is the assumed default when the tag is missing.

Cheers Martin