[Tagging] Deprecation of landuse=forest (was: Feature Proposal - RFC - boundary=forest(_compartment) relations)

Bert -Araali- Van Opstal bert.araali.afritastic at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 16:16:46 UTC 2021

> the size and uniformity of landuse zone/areas depends on the scale you are looking at it. Let’s not confuse zoning (prescriptive landuse as commonly defined by the government) with actual landuse (what we map with landuse)
>
> Cheers Martin
Very true, happy you mention and confirm it. However, that is not how it
is used by many mappers. We see whole villages and cities mapped as
landuse=residential, not a big deal since you can easily define inner
areas with different landuse, perfectly viable and correct although
complex due to growing number of inner areas when we go into more detail.

It becomes different however when the landuse tag is used on a macro
scale to map areas which refer to the "management" of the area, not the
actual landuse. This is the case for f.i. refugee camps (very large in
many cases with a variety of landuses inside them), mapped and tagged as
landuse=residential, and for our case here landuse=forest. Creating
inner areas with different landuse explicitly excludes them from the
management philosophy. The only viable solution for that seems to me a
boundary.
Correct me if I am wrong, but also in countries where the landuse=forest
is heavily used, is it mapped on areas that are no longer covered with
trees, the trees are cut or as in the proposal areas with ponds, some
agriculural use, some small villages ? All of those are managed by the
forestry department, is it not to harvest and economically use the
forest, then to protect (which is a management strategy) the natural
remaining tree stands, open areas, water features, wildlife grazing or
feeding grass covered or scrub land etc... as they are all part of the
forest ecosystem and necessary to sustain the forest, make it
economically viable on the long term.

Greetings,

Bert Araali