[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - (Electric) Scooters

Minh Nguyen minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us
Mon Apr 19 05:06:37 UTC 2021

Vào lúc 18:48 2021-04-18, Minh Nguyen đã viết:
> Vào lúc 03:20 2021-04-18, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging đã viết:
>> Note that in many cases mobility scooters are legally considered to be
>> pedestrians,
>> or de facto equivalent to pedestrians.
>>
>> Maybe even in all cases? When this new key would be needed?
>
> In California, electric kick scooters are required to go in the bike
> lane if there's a bike lane and the speed limit is at most 25 mph. The
> law distinguishes electric kick scooters from unmotorized kick scooters.
> Enforcement is entirely another matter.
>
> https://sf.curbed.com/2018/4/5/17202690/electric-scooters-san-francisco-facts-info-how-to
>

> In the San Francisco Bay Area, I sometimes see facilities designated for
> rentable electric kick scooters, but signs use "scooter" as shorthand.
> It's unlikely that someone would mistake it for a Vespa parking lot, but
> I suppose someone could use it to park their personal kick scooter if
> they aren't worried about it getting stolen.
>
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/689853427
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Boccardo_Gate_scooter_parking,_San_José_State_University,_view_from_South_4th_Street.jpg
>
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Boccardo_Gate_scooter_parking,_San_José_State_University,_view_from_Paseo_de_San_Carlos.jpg
>

> This sign in Ohio bans all kick scooters along with the self-balancing
> scooters known as "hoverboards". It's a one-off sign on private
> property; I don't think this specific sign is common, but variations
> surely exist elsewhere.
>
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Sidewalk_access_restrictions_at_Loveland_Station_Apartments,_Loveland,_Ohio.jpg

Oh, I didn't realize the proposal incorporated mobility scooters too, so
I mistakenly thought you were asking whether a key for electric kick
scooters was needed.

I'd think that mobility scooters would tend to have access more similar
to wheelchairs than pedestrians, given that they still run on wheels and
can be too wide to fit down some narrow paths. On the other hand, their
motors allow them to surmount some inclines and curbs that unpowered
wheelchairs may be unable to surmount.

minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us