[Tagging] Place of worship key - approved?

nathan case nathancase at outlook.com
Mon Apr 19 09:43:45 UTC 2021

> why would these be mistakes?

Well "mistakes" might not be the right word considering anyone can tag how they like... but:

1 - There is no significant usage, e.g. amenity=place_of_worship & building=chapel is used 50,968 times [1], whereas place_of_worship=chapel (by far the most popular value for this tag) is used just 889 times [2] and the majority of these uses are in just one country (70% are in Austria) [3].
2 - Such usage is not documented, e.g. in the amenity=place_of_worship wiki page [4]
3 - There has never been a proposal to define such usage
4 - I don't think there has been discussion of using this key on buildings, e.g. on this mailing list.

I guess if place_of_worship=* is being used alongside amenity=place_of_worship and building=* (e.g. amenity=place_of_worship, building=chapel, place_of_worship=chapel) then that would be fine but it would appear to be a little superfluous.

Cheers.

[1] https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/?key=building&value=chapel#combinations
[2] https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/place_of_worship#values
[3] https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/16lo