[Tagging] Problems in the English wiki page Highway=footway
nathancase at outlook.com
Mon Apr 19 09:47:58 UTC 2021
> foot=designated on highway=footway is redundant (compare with the statement in the side box "implies foot=designated"
Just to note that in England and Wales, foot=designated has a very specific meaning. It is used for public rights of way which have an explicit legal provision for access (higher than simply foot=yes). See https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Access_provisions_in_the_United_Kingdom#Public_Rights_of_Way
Whilst that shouldn’t stop editing the global Wiki, it is important to note that foot=designated is not always redundant.
From: Andrew Harvey <andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, April 18, 2021 11:49 AM
To: Tag discussion, strategy and related tools <tagging at openstreetmap.org>
Subject: Re: [Tagging] Problems in the English wiki page Highway=footway
On Sun, 18 Apr 2021 at 05:33, Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com<mailto:voschix at gmail.com>> wrote:
I just noticed a few strange things in the wiki page Highway=footway<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dfootway>
In the first example:
" foot=designated (designed to footway)"
which has two defects:
* "designated" does not mean "designed for"
* foot=designated on highway=footway is redundant (compare with the statement in the side box "implies foot=designated"
Implied yes, but not harmful to add it. I think it's safe to remove it from this example.
In the second example
* foot=yes is redundant
Yes, while not harmful, I think it's fine to remove this.
* cycleway=* is not the correct (tagging of a combined foot-cycleways is done differently)
In the third example
* footway=crossing on way (C) is missing
I think it's safe to add that given how footway=crossing is used and documented.
* the kerb (C2) does not go on the shared node of sidewalk and crossing footway, but only on the crossing footway
* the language is bump
* the illustrations could be bigger
It's a wiki, feel free to improve the readability.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Tagging