[Tagging] Problems in the English wiki page Highway=footway

nathan case nathancase at outlook.com
Mon Apr 19 09:47:58 UTC 2021

> foot=designated on highway=footway is redundant (compare with the statement in the side box "implies foot=designated"
Just to note that in England and Wales, foot=designated has a very specific meaning. It is used for public rights of way which have an explicit legal provision for access (higher than simply foot=yes). See https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Access_provisions_in_the_United_Kingdom#Public_Rights_of_Way

Whilst that shouldn’t stop editing the global Wiki, it is important to note that foot=designated is not always redundant.

Cheers.